Monday, January 2, 2012

Soda Can (Beer Can) Coasters.

Simply empty out some cans of your choice and rinse them out with water.  Then take some tin snips and very carefully cut off the top and bottom of the can.  This can be a bit tricky.  


**But be very careful as these cans are super sharp!**  
I suggest wearing garden gloves while cutting to help give you extra protection.   Be sure to save as much of the flat part of the side of the can so that you can get a nice size square for your coasters.  Then cut down the seam of the can.  Most cans will have a definite seam on the side…usually by the ingredient list. Then I took some Silicone and put a good amount on the back of the square.  

I then attached them to some simple white tiles that measured 4 by 4 inches.  I found them at Lowes in the tile aisle and I believe they were $1.25 for four of then.  Flatten and rub the tin square so that it is securely attached.  Wipe any excess Silicone off the top of the tile with a damp warm cloth. Then I set a paper towel on the top of it and laid a pile of books on it and let them dry over night!  The next day I took a good amount Mod Podge glue over the top of it to seal it all off so that the edges would not peel up and to protect the edges from poking or scratching any users of the coasters. It will look cloudy, But will dry clear..Then simply place some felt pads on the bottom of the coasters to protect your table top from getting scratched!
Aren’t they fun?  I think they would be great to have in your TV room or game room.

No comments:

Post a Comment